IRS Tax Form 7004 is the Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Certain Business Income Tax, Information, and Other Returns. For tax years beginning from 2018, the extensions of time to file tax returns for partnerships, certain corporations, and trusts and estates (other than bankruptcy estates) have changed. Form 7004 and the related instructions have been modified to reflect the changes effective for the tax year 2018.

Form 7004 is the form used to file for an automatic extension of time to file your business tax return for a partnership, a multiple member LLC filing as a partnership, a corporation, or s-corporation, who are not able to file by the original due date. You need to send in a request for this automatic tax extension well within the due date. Try electronic filing for faster processing of your request and to get a quick acknowledgement.

Applying for a business tax extension will extend your filing deadline for the following business tax returns:

Tax Form 706-GS(D) Tax Form 706-GS(T) Tax Form 1041 (estate other than a bankruptcy estate)
Tax Form 1041 (trust) Tax Form 1041 (bankruptcy estate only) Tax Form 1041-N
Tax Form 1041-QFT Tax Form 1042 Tax Form 1065
Tax Form 1065-B Tax Form 1066 Tax Form 1120
Tax Form 1120-C Tax Form 1120-F Tax Form 1120-FSC
Tax Form 1120-H Tax Form 1120-L Tax Form 1120-ND
Tax Form 1120-ND (section 4951 taxes) Tax Form 1120-PC Tax Form 1120-POL
Tax Form 1120-REIT Tax Form 1120-RIC Tax Form 1120S
Tax Form 1120-SF Tax Form 3520-A Tax Form 8612
Tax Form 8613 Tax Form 8725 Tax Form 8804
Tax Form 8831 Tax Form 8876 Tax Form 8924
Tax Form 8928

Note: You cannot e-file your tax extension request for certain tax forms ― including Form 8612, 8613, 8725, 8831, 8876, or 706-GS(D). To get an extension for these forms, you must mail a paper tax extension request (Form 7004) to the IRS.

Purpose of Form

The extension will be granted if you complete Form 7004 properly, make a proper estimate of the tax (if applicable), file the form by the due date of the return to which the Form 7004 applies, and pay any tax that is due.

Automatic 6-month extension.

The automatic extension period for time to file is generally 6 months. Exceptions apply for certain filers of Form 1041 and for C corporations with tax years ending June 30. An estate (other than a bankruptcy estate) and a trust filing Form 1041 are eligible for an automatic 5 1/2-month extension of time to file. Extension of time to file. C corporations with tax years ending June 30 are eligible for an automatic 7-month extension of time to file (6-month extension if filing Form 1120-POL).

Note: A corporation with a short tax year ending anytime in June is treated as if the short tax year ended on June 30. Termination of extension period. The IRS may terminate the automatic extension at any time by mailing a notice of termination to the entity or person that requested the extension. The notice will be mailed at least 10 days before the termination date given in the notice.

Automatic 6-month extension time to file or additional 3- month (not automatic) extension for the following forms can be requested by filing form 8868

Form 990 or Form 990-EZ Form 990-T (Corporation)
Form 990-BL Form 1041-A
Form 4720 (Inidividual) Form 990-T (trust other than Individual)
Form 990-PF Form 5227
Form 990-T (sec. 401(a) or 408(a) trust) Form 6069
Form 990-T (trust other than above) Form 8870